August 22, 2008

Hoomoos Asli

100 Kenmare St

This place is a hole-in-the-wall, and yet the food is not-to-be-missed. After a busy day, I was craving a really filling falafel and hummus sandwich, and that is just what Hoomoos Asli served me. I got a warm pita over-flowing with tomatoes and cucumbers, tahini, two falafel and hummus. If I have one complaint, its that each of those ingredients came in their own layers instead of mixed altogether. Still, everything was fresh and reminded me of the food I had in Israel. The hummus was pasty, reminiscent of the hummus I had up in the Galilee.

The falafel were crispy on the outside but fluffy and green from spices on the inside, like the ones I got on the street in Tel Aviv. Even the vegetables tasted fresher than the ones you get anywhere else in Manhattan, just like they do in Israel. Best of all, it came out really fast and cost only $5.00!

I'm not sure why the waitress was so rude - she sneered at me when I asked for water - but everyone else at Hoomoos Asli seemed really mellow. One group of twenty-somethings was already finished eating when I came in and they were still there hanging out when I left (Israelis spend hours hanging out in cafes too). For a quick, cheap eat that will remind you of (or clue you in to) the food and culture in Israel, I definitely recommend Hoomoos Asli.

Some pointers: It's kosher, so don't ask for milk products because they don't have any. Also, they don't have a liquor license, so bring your own if you want to drink.




- The Grazer

----------------------------------------------------------
Here are some recipes I thought you might like:

No comments: