October 31, 2008

Fig & Olive

808 Lexington Ave (between 62nd and 63rd)

At Fig & Olive (Lexington) nothing "popped," to quote my date. I was pretty disappointed, as I recommended the place after eating at the newer Fig & Olive in the Meatpacking district and loving it. Downtown, I had crostini, zucchini carpaccio and light lemony fish. Everything was flavorful, pretty and very grazerly.

But uptown, the food was boring. The artichoke appetizer was dull, unseasoned, and poorly plated, with half-toasted whole wheat bread and dry mixed lettuces. My branzino entree was also lacking in flavor and again, the plating seemed confused. The fish was set, skin-side up (which was bubbly, burned, and ugly), on top of snow peas and figs, a strange combination if you ask me. The best things on my plate were the figs, which is good considering the namesake. They were sweet, fresh and juicy.

We were also upset with our service; out waiter stopped by twice through the whole meal and rushed through our ordering. He never described the three olive oils they serve while you're waiting for food, something I remember my waiter downtown doing with ease, knowledge, and charm. My date was particularly upset with the wicker chairs, finding them uncomfortable and awkward. Overall, an unmemorable meal. Still, one carrot for the figs and one carrot for my meal at the newer Fig & Olive, downtown.





- The Grazer

No comments: