September 18, 2008

Esperanto Cafe

114 MacDougal St

Esperanto Cafe is a great spot for NYU students in need of a place to sit and study. If you're not an NYU student, I don't know why you'd go...I went because, well, I'm on a "student budget" and Esperanto is really cheap.

The place is crawling with students sipping on big mugs of cappuccino and reading Nietzsche. I think they must like it here because the waitresses pretty much ignore you, leaving you to sit for as long as you like.

I ordered the tuna salad and it was small and simple. Some mixed greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, a hard-boiled egg and a scoop of tuna salad. I'd call it too small and too simple if not for the amazing price: $6.50! The menu is made up of other cheap cafe hallmarks - eggs & omelets, chicken salad, turkey or roast beef sandwich; they even make pizzas. I wasn't wildly impressed, but I wasn't disappointed either. For a good student hang-out at student prices, I'd say Esperanto is on the mark.






- The Grazer

No comments: